Sunday, September 1, 2013

Williamston, NC: August 12th, 2012 - Another Quick Jaunt

A week after Little Washington, I found myself with another warm, idle Sunday afternoon, and hopped on Google Earth to find somewhere a reasonable driving distance away to visit.

I had never even heard of Williamston, but it was about 45 minutes away and had what looked like a nice park, so away I went.  When I got there I saw the entrance to the park had a "road closed" sign in front of it and a big billboard explaining that they were closed for remodeling, so I drove a bit further until I found a parking space and walked their greenway/bike path until it ended at what looked like the city center.




It featured what I assume is the only art in all of Williamston, the This Thing:

 
I then walked back until I got to the other end.  From there, I spotted a dock area, and walked on it along the river for a short distance, before again turning back, getting back in my car, and driving home.






I think I had it in my head that I would make these trips a weekly thing, but as I ran out of easily drivable NC towns, the problem of time and money reared its ugly head, and the reality that my travels could never be quite that frequent set in.  But really, it's not a terribly negative thing.  I still got to travel, and that was enough for the time being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment