Sunday, June 26, 2016

Corydon, IN: April 23, 2016 - Hayswood Nature Reserve

Another short one that took me way too long to compose.  Back in April, I found myself on a warm day with nothing to do, and I decided to pick yet another spot on the map to explore.  Trying to stay within a radius of about half an hour from my apartment, I selected Corydon, Indiana, because it seemed to have a few nice parks.  I guess I like parks.

I didn't realize that Corydon had some actual significance as a historical landmark, it being the first capital of Indiana.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  The first stop, and the bulk of the journey, was the Hayswood Nature Reserve.


It was a pretty big area, with some trails as well as a playground and a structure to house the restrooms and vending machines.



It also had helpful little signs all over:


Gesundheit!

Took this trail:


Got to know the pavement pretty well along the way.  We became close.  Then it popped the question:


I said I was flattered but I just couldn't.  So we broke up and I never saw it again.




Returned to the main area and took the trail in the other direction:


Which led to this area:



Apparently some insurance company decided to sponsor a rock:


Doesn't seem like the best use of those advertising dollars, but whatever.

Continued along the trail:



AND FOUND A BRIDGE:




I guess I like bridges.

Got to the end of the trail:



And turned back.

I decided to go into town after the Nature Reserve, which is where I learned all about its history.  Here are the original and new courthouses:



And the town:




As I was getting ready to get in my car and go, I spotted this place:


and decided I had to go in.  It was a little old-style ice cream shop and candy store:



Got myself a ginger ale float, which I had never had of before.  Guy poured the soda right out of the glass bottle.  I honestly think that this was a brand new flavor to me.  It was really interesting.  I'd go back all the time if it wasn't 35 minutes away.  I recommend the place...y'know, if you're ever in Corydon.

No comments:

Post a Comment