Saturday, August 17, 2019

Shelbyville, KY: August 14, 2019 - Bourbon Trail #2

Another free day, another bourbon distillery.  Again, I'm gonna try to see them all eventually (when you do, you get a free glass!), but I was also excited for stop #2 in and of itself, because I have good memories with Bulleit Bourbon - it's one of the first I had after coming to Louisville.

The Bulleit situation is a bit confusing; they have two facilities you can go to, this one being the newer and farther out one, but both count for the same spot on the Bourbon Trail Passport (the document that you eventually exchange for said free glass), so I guess you only have to go to one of the two for it to count?  In any case, I headed down late morning for my tour.



Initially, I was the only person on the tour, and the guide's name was also Matt, but two others showed up about a minute late and joined on as we were still in the first hallway, where a bit of company history was presented:


Next, we got on a bus and drove out to the main facility:


Within that main building, we then went through all the basics of the bourbon making process:










We didn't head into one of their actual warehouses and see the barrels as they aged, which I'd cite as the biggest weakness of this particular tour.  You see on the busride all of these huge sprawling buildings, but only visit the front side of one of them.

We then returned to the building we'd started in for the tasting:


They pair each selection with a scent, which really added something to it.  Not to mention the bourbon itself is phenomenal.  While the "regular" bourbon and rye were simply good, the barrel-strength was incredible.  That would be worth going out of your way to get a bottle of.  It's a tasty bourbon.

On my way out, I again stopped in the town proper for a quick lunch and to see the classic small town main street vistas of Shelbyville:



No comments:

Post a Comment